“This is his album”
On January 28, 2015, Steven “A$AP Yams” Rodriguez died at 26.
A rap legend, teacher of the game, business man, and friend. The rap community was inconsolable, however found some solace in the fact that he left behind blueprints, they were for Cozy Tapes Vol.1… and it’s finally here.
The follow up to a monumental 2012 Lords Never Worry is this dedication to the late A$AP Yams. Before his passing he was working on a project that combined the forces of A$AP mob and some of their favourite artists. Cozy Tapes Vol.1: Friends is now out thanks to the collaborative work of the Mob and friends and boasts a lineup of 12 tracks that Yams would be proud of.
1. “Yamborghini High” Feat. A$AP Rocky, A$AP Ferg, A$AP Nast, A$AP Ant, A$AP Twelvyy & Juicy J
2. “Crazy Brazy” Feat. A$AP Rocky, A$AP Twelvyy & Key
3. “Way Hii” Feat. A$AP Rocky, Wiz Khalifa, BJ The Chicago Kid & Buddy
4. “Young Nigga Living” Feat. A$AP Ferg, A$AP Ant & A$AP Twelvyy
5. “Nasty’s World” Feat. A$AP Nast & Onyx
6. “Money Man” Feat. A$AP Rocky, A$AP Nast & Yung Lord
7. “Put That On My Set” Feat. A$AP Rocky & Skepta
8. “Motivation Foreign” (Skit)
9. “London Town” Feat. A$AP Rocky, A$AP Ant & Playboi Carti
10. “Runner” Feat. A$AP Ant & Lil Uzi Vert
11. “Bachelor” Feat. A$AP Rocky, Lil Yachty, Madeintyo & Offset
12. “Telephone Calls” Feat. A$AP Rocky, Tyler, The Creator, Playboi Carti & Yung Gleesh
Telephone Calls, Nastys World & Young N**** Living, are 3 standout tracks but it goes without saying Yamborghini High is up on the list. Way Hii however takes the cake for ~wavy song to blaze to~ and that’s no surprise with the Wiz Khalifa feature. Runner up is London Town, which is where they did most of the work on Cozy Tapes and is an A1 track all round)
A cool, calm and collected Rocky and Skepta rap with finesse on Put That On My Set. Almost too cool and calm though? Regardless of a very much appreciated sample from Willie Hutch I was aching for some Lord Pretty Flacko type hype and it wasn’t pulling through, but then I was hit with Yamborghini High and it was a solemn reminder not to hold too many expectations, as much as this is A$AP Mobs biggest drop since 2012; it is also not for us. It’s for Yams and if this album takes a somber tone at times, it’s understandable why.
Now don’t get it twisted there are more tracks that bring it than tracks that don’t. The aforementioned track Nastys World is a stone cold killer- A$AP Nast runs a refreshing old school flow and utilizes some funky ass jazz
WORDS BY MIRANDA LIDGERWOOD
Categorised in: Uncategorized
This post was written by mistrustdave